Last Updated - 23rd December 2020
Object and Purpose of the Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice sets out how Equal Legal Aid uses and protects your personal data. The Privacy Notice is applicable to the personal data collected from you under the responsibility of Equal Legal Aid when you use our Website (www.equallegalaid.org) (“Website”), subscribe to our newsletter, benefit from our services or when we conduct research to improve our services or to better understand the situation in the areas we operate in.
Equal Legal Aid is committed to ensuring your personal data is protected and used in accordance with the applicable data protection legislation, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Who collects your personal data?
- What personal data do we collect?
- How do we collect your personal data?
- Why do we process personal data?
- How will we use your personal data?
- How long do we store your personal data?
- Privacy policies of other Websites
- Changes to our Privacy Notice
- How to contact us
Who Collects your Personal Data?
Equal Legal Aid is a non-profit association constituted in accordance with the French Law of 1901 concerning non-profit organizations.
Controller: Equal Legal Aid (“Equal Legal Aid”)
Registered office: 9 rue des Fabricants 59100 Roubaix, France
RNA reference no: Equal Legal Aid is referenced in W595035578 on the French National Registry of Association (Registre National des Associations – RNA).
What Personal Data do we Collect?
We may collect the following data:
- Contact details. In particular, your name, email address, phone number, etc.;
- Statistical information. In particular, cookies, your IP address, your location, if any, the date and duration of your visit to the Website, the websites from which you are linked to the Websites, your browser, your operating system, your surfing behaviour on the Websites and, in particular, the pages you visit on the Websites;
- Content of written communications and attachments between you and Equal Legal Aid (email correspondences and WhatsApp exchanges);
- Financial information (only to process donations). In particular, identification and bank account numbers, credit or debit card numbers;
- Research answers (only if you wish to participate). In particular, the answers you have voluntarily provided to us by participating to our surveys or interviews. In some instances, this research might include a question on, or your answers to other question may reveal, your nationality and/or your racial or ethnic origin. If applicable, we will mention this before any processing of such personal data.
How do we collect your personal data?
We collect data and process data when you:
- Voluntarily contact or provide us feedback on any of our message boards or via email;
- In providing our legal services;
- Use or view our Website via your browser’s cookies;
- Subscribe to our newsletter;
- By taking surveys or interviews from you if you wish to participate;
- Written communications and their attachments between you and Equal Legal Aid (e.g. via email or WhatsApp or through the contact form on our Website);
- By receiving donations.
Why do we Process Personal Data?
These personal data may be used, respectively:
To communicate with you, via email, phone, WhatsApp or other channel, in order to consider your question, communication or request and, where appropriate, to reply to it or to provide you our services
If Equal Legal Aid has a contract with the data subject, the processing for these purposes is necessary for the conclusion or execution of this contract.
In the absence of such a contract with the data subject, the processing will be necessary for our legitimate interest to process data of individuals to ensure good relationships with our clients and partners, to inform potential clients and to provide our services. To the extent required by law, we will request your (explicit) consent.
For research, including surveys and/or interviews, to improve our services or to better understand the situation, conditions and needs in the areas we operate in
We will request your (explicit) consent.
To process donations to Equal Legal Aid
- The processing for this purpose is necessary for our legitimate interest in carrying out fundraising initiatives in order to carry out our organisation’s strategies, ensure operation continuity or grow the organisation.
To improve our Website and services, to understand how people use the Website to make it more intuitive
The processing for this purpose is necessary for our legitimate interest in analytics for said purposes, to improve our services and Website. To the extent required by law, we will request your (explicit) consent.
To send you our newsletter and keep you updated about our activities.
We will request your consent.
To comply with legal obligations, court orders or orders of the competent administrative authorities
- These processing operations may be necessary for a legal obligation imposed on Equal Legal Aid.
For the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims
The processing for this purpose is necessary for our legitimate interest in defending our rights and interests in and out-of-court.
How Long do we Store your Personal Data?
Equal legal Aid will keep your contact details as long as it is necessary for the purposes listed above, taking into account any legal retention or prescription periods and for a maximum duration of 10 years. Thereafter, Equal Legal Aid will delete your data from its server, dedicated accounts and internal records.
What are your Data Protection Rights?
Equal Legal Aid would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your rights as a data subject. Every data subject is entitled to the following:
- The right to access – You have the right to request access to your personal information processed by Equal Legal Aid and receive a copy thereof.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to request Equal Legal Aid to rectify your personal data, provided that the applicable legal requirements are met. In the event of errors, we will, upon notification, correct our information about you.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to request Equal Legal Aid to erase your personal data, under certain conditions. Personal data will be erased when the legal requirements are met: among other things, in the event of the data collected or processed for a certain purpose not being required anymore to reach this purpose, or when the data is processed unlawfully. Excluded from erasure is, for example, the data we still require to enforce our rights and claims.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request Equal Legal Aid to restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain legal conditions.
- The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to Equal Legal Aid’s processing of your personal data based on our legitimate interests, provided that the applicable legal conditions are met.
- The right to data portability – You have the right to request Equal Legal Aid to transmit your personal to another organization, or directly to you, under certain legal conditions.
- Right to withdraw consent – You have the right to withdraw your consent at all times where we are processing your personal data on the basis of consent. The processing of your personal data prior to the withdrawal will remain lawful.
- Right to lodge a complaint – You have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority. Therefore, you can contact the data protection authority in the EEA-country (EU + Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement.
If you would like to exercise any of these rights, you can contact us using the information provided in the section ‘How to contact us’ below.
Who do we Share your Personal Data with?
In the context of fulfilling the aforementioned purposes, Equal Legal Aid may rely on service providers such as IT service providers. Your personal data may also be shared with these service providers if necessary for the fulfilment of the aforementioned purposes. In that case, the required contractual arrangements will be made in advance and these service providers will only process your personal data in accordance with Equal Legal Aid’s instructions and in accordance with the applicable regulations.
Equal Legal Aid may also share certain personal data with external parties for processing operations whose purposes and means are determined by these external parties. In that case, these third parties act as data controllers under the applicable data protection legislation. This includes sharing with professional counsel and/or, where required by law, competent authorities.
Where do we Transfer your Personal Data to?
We may transfer your personal data to parties in countries outside the European Economic Area or to international organisations. A transfer of your personal data to these parties will only take place if there is an adequacy decision of the European Commission or if appropriate or suitable safeguards for the transfer of personal data to third countries or international organisations are in place (by including the so-called EU standard contractual clauses in the agreement with the recipient, in exceptional situations, by obtaining your explicit consent) and, if necessary, the necessary additional measures have been taken.
You can request an overview from Equal Legal Aid of the countries outside the European Economic Area to which your personal data are transferred and the relevant transfer mechanism on which Equal Legal Aid relies. For more information about the measures that have been applied, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Privacy Notices of Other Websites?
The Website might contain links to other websites. Our Privacy Notice applies only to our Website, so if you click on a link to another website, you should read their privacy notice.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
Equal Legal Aid keeps its Privacy Notice under regular review and reserves the right to change this Privacy Notice from time to time. This Privacy Notice was last updated on 23rd of December 2020.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about Equal Legal Aid’s Privacy Notice, the data we hold on you, or you would like to exercise one of your rights as a data subject, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Email us at: email@example.com
Write us at: 9 rue des Fabricants 59100 Roubaix, France